Screenshots, videos, guides, musings,and stories about various PC games.

Monday, September 6, 2010

FireRed Omega: Marsh Badge


Having disposed of the Rocket goons (again),  I've traveled to Saffron City's gym to take on Sabrina. I'm expecting a tough battle, more difficult than any any preceding  or following.  Let's see the team.


Same as last time. After capturing a Larvitar in Mt. Moon, I trained it alongside my regular team for a while until I found it too time-consuming. Bringing a Tyranitar inside Sabrina's gym would have ensured victory: its dark type provides insulation against this gym's characteristic move, Psychic.  I expect the trainers to field a variety of Pokemon, and don't anticipate on any one Pokemon carrying the day. This shall be a team effort, although I imagine Dreikopf's speed will come in handy against Alakazam. My usual method is to use my Raticate against Sabrina's Alakazam:  while the psychic is powerful, he's frail. A preemptive strike could topple him before he attacks.


I'm only interested in your power to admit defeat gracefully, lady. Let's do this.


Boom!


Thunderbolt this.


Dreikopf may yet carry the day! Damn, he continues to impress me.


....well, can't win `em all. He did good.


I didn't expect to see Eris in this match, to tell you the truth.


Sabrina follows the Jynx with an Espeon. Given Sabrina's fondness for using HyperPotion, I used a little strategy here. First, I had Eris set up a kill with Thunderbolt. That, I figured, would hit Espeon's HP, but not enough to make Sabrina use the hyperpotion. Assuming Eris survived whatever she threw at him -- not a good chance, given that Espeon knows Psychic -- I'd follow the 'bolt up with a bit of Thunder.


Espeon barely survived the Thunder, and after drinking "Moo-Moo Milk" was ready to fight again. Too bad Sabrina didn't use HyperPotion: Espeon could've used a full HP bar.  With both 'mons paralyzed (Eris via Espeon's "Synchronize" trait), whomever was successful in landing their blow (Psychic of Thunder) would win. As it happened, Eris did.


She sends in Gengar, so I send in Hornblower. His "Bite" should dispatch the ghost with ease.


Hornblower won, eventually, through a lengthy exchange of Hypnosis/Pokeflute/Psychic/Hypnosis/Pokeflute/Psychic/Hypnosis. FINALLY, one of the Hyp's missed and Blastoise kicked that blasted ghost's ass. Psychic is a powerful move: I am surprised Hornblower survived so many of them.


And now the Big Bad of her team, Alakazam. Drei's out, so I send in Matthias to use his THUNDERPUNCH! which works so well.


Alakazam hits Mat with Psychic, but he stays on his feet. I know I need a powerful move to finish this thing off before Sabrina uses a Hyperpotion, and then I remember four little letters: STAB. Same-type-attack-bonus. Since Matthias is Fire-type and Flamethrower is fire-type, the move's power is multiplied.


The result is a critical hit.


An excellent battle, if I say so myself. The difficulties of the last gym meet were the results of my own arrogance. I defeated Sabrina with intelligence, not by level-grinding -- and for that, I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment