Screenshots, videos, guides, musings,and stories about various PC games.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Arabian Dawn

Although I've played Civilization III for many years,  I've largely fallen out of the habit and decided to revisit the game to remedy that. I chose to play the standard game, not on a custom map, and do so using a civilization I've never visited before: the Arabs. While I've played a few games of Civilization IV under the Arab flag, they were never appealing to me here. I prefer peaceful games, and their civ "traits" are better suited to militaristic aims. I change the ruler title and name to those more of my liking, and begin. (I change my in-game moniker depending on whom I'm playing: Elan Tulmak is a name I originally made up for my leader in a game involving Cardassians.)

My start forces me to make a decision: should I move toward the sea or toward the grassland? The sea provides a source of revenue, food, and an opportunity for more improvements and monuments. The grasslands are heavenly, but I can plant my second city there. The ocean it is! 

My scout begins exploring along the river, which is realistic. I like to settle my initial cities by following rivers when I can. My worker is building a road there in anticipating of farming. I suppose die-hards would tell me to connect the spices first (to keep my people happy), but on a lower level such as this, I have time. 

I meet both the Russians and the Greeks. The Greeks are to my west, while I won't find the Russians for some time yet. My scout and their scout bumped into one another. Scouts are fast units handy for exploring the native villages:  they're sometimes able to convince the locals to bestow the civilized powers gifts. As the Russian scout came from the south, I can assume he's visited the villages there, so my scout goes north.  I do some trading with the Greeks, but the Russians are not eager to exchange their bronze skills for my magic words. Darn those materialists! My own scientists are attempting to reach Philosophy, as it grants a free technology to the civ who learns it first. I wouldn't try getting it first on a higher level. 


A very wise village decides to submit to my will! How lovely. I assure them that I will be a good despot. No beatings! The surrounding countryside is lovely, isn't it? 


The land north of me is mostly tundra, but it's pretty good tundra. There are mineral-laden hills,  forests, and lots of game.  There are also elephants, god knows why.The locals are also nice. Thanks for the bricks and mortar, fellows.
 

I soon find the Russians, south of the Greeks. We may live in peace, and we may not. I can't say the same for the Greeks -- but of course, I would only welcome them under my rule for the betterment of all. 

Trade between my west and east realms is effected when I establish a trading post midway called "Damascus". The land is sweet and wild: it is worthy of my beneficent rule. 

The known world! The artic elephants -- wolly mammoths? --  graze on that first artic river. I've got some room for expansion, but am predicting the need to consolidate Greek lands. In the south you can see the French: we've been trading technologies with them. I'm hoping to find another power in the south. 

Next time:  expansion and...'consolidation'.

No comments:

Post a Comment