Screenshots, videos, guides, musings,and stories about various PC games.

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Don't Call it a Comeback


Despite the fact that I've owned Conquests since its release, until a few weeks ago I'd never played through the Middle Ages scenario. After a trial run as the Danes, in which I destroyed Europe completely, I made a 'civilized' attempt as the Byzantines. Being a student of history, my first order of business was crushing the Bulgars. That done, I set my sights on Jerusalem. 



The Crusade was a triumph,  redeeming the patriarchates of Jerusalem, Alexandria and Antioch.  Having restored Jerusalem to Christian rule, another quest was set before the Throne:  to unite Christendom itself. Rome remained in barbarian hands. Thus was born the Second Crusade.


Since Burgundy is a formidable power here, we enticed the Franks and Germans to attack their brethren.


That alliance proved fruitful, allowing us to take Italy with ease. The Franks established themselves as our stout allies. After destroying the Fatimid caliphate in Africa,  we worked together to attack Cordoba and  redeem Europe completely.  Because of our incontrovertible status as the Defenders of Christendom, the Franks and other  tribes would abandon their papist heresies to seek communion with the Orthodox faith.  The Germans attacked us at some point, but the Franks came to our aide; after a royal marriage their king was appointed emperor of the west, and the Roman Civilization once again ruled the continent.

I then followed this with Fatimid and Turkish playthroughs. The only civ-type I haven't played as, ironically, is western Europe.


No comments:

Post a Comment