Screenshots, videos, guides, musings,and stories about various PC games.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Unfortunate Bystander

Photobucket
Imperial Officer: I'll just ehm, stay out of you fellows' way, then shall I?

Back in the spring I began playing Jedi Knight II: Jedi Academy. It's a third person action/fantasy game where the player begins as a Jedi padawan. After playing through the tutorial, the player can begin to play missions. At the start of every missions, you may choose a force "power" to develop or develop further. Force powers from both "sides" of the force are available, and the player's mentor will comment on his or her developing proficiencies in the force -- praising the player for developing "good" Force powers and cautioning against overdevelopment of darker powers. The game has two endings, based on the player's choice at a pivotal moment -- one "good", one "evil".

After playing the game through my first time as canon mostly intended -- a mostly balanced character with a strong tendency for the light side -- I decided to play it again as a mostly balanced character with a strong tendency for evil. As the player is allowed to customize the appearance of his character, I went with the flow. While my "good" character wore light robes, used a green lightsaber, and fought defensively, my "bad" character wore a dark tunic, used purple blades, and fought aggressively. Interesting, he killed less: he tended to move fast and strike hard, and I didn't like him getting slowed down by mere mooks -- so they tended to get force-pushed to the side. He did blow up droids for no reason, though, just to earn his "Bah, I'm a grumpy Sith" credentials.



I'm beginning the penultimate mission set of the game, where I must "rescue" a fellow Academy student from the dark side. I have to find him first, and that means fighting through a seemingly unending series of Imperial stations alongside a lava river. The stormtroopers are easy to handle -- a little Force Lightening clears the room -- but the numerous Dark Jedi require saber battles. In this battle, an Imperial officer has climbed upon the equipment for his own safety, but he's still shooting his little pistol at me. Normally I'd ignore him, but the little pistol is annoying me, so, minutes later:

Photobucket


One of my blades accidently hit him when I was jumping around fighting. "Oops".

No comments:

Post a Comment